Ocenographer, Research Director
Dr George Triantafyllou has a PhD in Oceanography, an MSc in Oceanography and a BSc in Mathematics. He is an elected Research Director of HCMR/Institute of Oceanography with 30 years of experience in marine science with particular emphasis on marine ecological modeling. He has post-doc experience from UWM, Dept. of Geosciences, teaching Dynamic Meteorology, and conducting research in Geophysical Fluid Dynamics and Non-linear Dynamics. Since 1995 he has worked as a Researcher at IMBC, now HCMR, conducting research in Marine Dynamics and Ecosystem Modeling, giving lectures on Dynamics and Modeling of Marine Ecosystems at the University of Crete, and been actively involved as coordinator, project leader and researcher in numerous European and national research projects. His research interests include data assimilation and operational marine ecosystems modeling, marine ecosystem management, nonlinear prediction, climate dynamics, development and application of individual based models (IBM). He has 82 publications in peer-reviewed journals, books and scientific series, and more than 150 conference presentations.
- SARDONE - Improving assessment and management of small pelagic species in the Mediterranean. FP6-44294
- SESAME -Southern European Seas: Assessing and Modelling Ecosystem Changes. FP6, GOCE-2006-036949
- MEECE -Marine Ecosystem Evolution in a Changing Environment. FP7-212085
- REPROdUCE - understanding REcruitment PROcesses Using Coupled biophysical models of the pelagic Ecosystem. MARIFISH Project (ERANET)
- SEAMAN - Spatially resolved Ecosystem models and their Application to Marine MANagement. SEAS-ERA Project (ERANET)
- Triantafyllou, G., F. Yao, G. Petihakis, K. P. Tsiaras, D. E. Raitsos, and I. Hoteit, 2014: Exploring the Red Sea seasonal ecosystem functioning using a three-dimensional biophysical model, J. Geophys. Res. Oceans, 119, 1791-1811.
- Tzanatos, E., Raitsos, D.E., Triantafyllou, G., Somarakis, S., and A.A. Tsonis, 2014: Indications of a climate effect on Mediterranean fisheries, Climatic Change, 122, 41–54.
- Politikos, D., Somarakis, S., Tsiaras, K., Giannoulaki, M., Petihakis, G., Machias, A., and G. Triantafyllou, 2015: Simulating anchovy's full life cycle in the eastern Mediterranean: a coupled hydro-biogeochemical-IBM model. Progress in Oceanography 138: 399-416.
- Petihakis, G., Tsiaras, K., Triantafyllou, G., Kalaroni, S., and A. Pollani, 2014: Sensitivity of the N. Aegean Seas ecosystem to Black Sea Water inputs, Mediterranean Marine Science, 15:4 (DOI: 10.12681/mms.955).
- Stergiou, K.I., Somarakis, S., Triantafyllou, G., Tsiaras, K.P., Giannoulaki, M., Petihakis, G., Machias, A., and A.C. Tsikliras, 2016: Trends in productivity and biomass yields in the Mediterranean Sea Large Marine Ecosystem during climate change. Environmental Development, 17:57-74.
Address: Hellenic Centre for Marine Research, 47km Athinon Souniou av. GR19013, Anavyssos, Greece
Telephone: +30 2291076327