Physical Oceanographer, Research scientist
Kostas Tsiaras is a research scientist at HCMR since 2001. He has worked on numerical modeling of hydrodynamics and biogeochemical processes, participating in several multi-disciplinary EU and national programs. Kostas Tsiaras received an MSc in Physical Oceanography (2000) and a BSc in Physics (1995) from the University of Athens, Greece. His research interests focus on the development of numerical models of biochemical processes and hydrodynamics, coupling of biophysical with individual based high trophic level (fish) models, land-sea interactions and the impacts of climate change on marine ecosystems. He has twenty-six (26) publications in peer-reviewed journals.
- SESAME -Southern European Seas: Assessing and Modelling Ecosystem Changes. FP6, GOCE-2006-036949
- MEECE -Marine Ecosystem Evolution in a Changing Environment. FP7- 212085
- REPROdUCE - understanding REcruitment PROcesses Using Coupled biophysical models of the pelagic Ecosystem. MARIFISH Project (ERANET)
- OPEC –Operational Ecology (FP7, SPA.2011.1.5-03 R&D to enhance future GMES applications in the Marine and Atmosphere areas)
- SEAMAN - Spatially resolved Ecosystem models and their Application to Marine MANagement. SEAS-ERA Project (ERANET)
- Politikos, D., Somarakis, S., Tsiaras, K., Giannoulaki, M., Petihakis, G., Machias, A., and G. Triantafyllou, 2015: Simulating anchovy's full life cycle in the eastern Mediterranean: a coupled hydro-biogeochemical-IBM model. Progress in Oceanography 138: 399-416.
- Tsiaras, K., Petihakis G., Kourafalou, V., Triantafyllou G., 2014. Impact of the river nutrient load variability on the N. Aegean ecosystem functioning over the last decades, Journal of Sea Research, 86, 97-109.
- Tsiaras, K., V.H. Kourafalou, D.E. Raitsos, G. Triantafyllou, G. Petihakis, G. Korres, 2012. Inter-annual productivity variability in the North Aegean Sea: Influence of thermohaline circulation during the Eastern Mediterranean Transient, Journal of Marine Systems, 96-97, 72-81.
- Tsiaras K. P., V.H. Kourafalou, A. Davidov and J. Staneva, 2008. A three-dimensional coupled model of the western Black Sea plankton dynamics: Seasonal variability and comparison to SeaWiFS data, J. Geophys. Res., Vol.113, C07007, doi:10.1029/2006JC00359.
- V. Kourafalou and K. Tsiaras, 2007. A nested circulation model for the North Aegean Sea, Ocean Sci., 3, 1-16.
Address: Hellenic Centre for Marine Research, 47km Athinon Souniou av. GR19013, Anavyssos, Greece
Telephone: +30 2291076385