Dr. Eudoxia Schismenou is a fisheries biologist who works as a post-doc research associate at the Institute of Marine Biological Resources & Inland Waters (IMBRIW) of the Hellenic Center for Marine Research (HCMR). She earned her doctoral degree in 2012 from the University of Crete in collaboration with the HCMR. Her thesis focused on advanced approaches in biology and ecology of reproduction and growth of European anchovy. She holds an MSc in Ecology, Management & Protection of the Natural Environment and a BSc in Biology, both from the University of Patras. Dr. Schismenou research has mainly focused on fish biology and ecology, small pelagic fish growth and reproduction, reproductive ecology and small pelagic fish spatial distribution and environmental interactions. She has been involved in more than 12 national and international projects. She has contributed 11 papers in peer-reviewed journals, 1 book chapter, as well as more than 20 other publications.
- PhD: 2012, Department of Biology, School of Sciences and Engineering, University of Crete, Greece in collaboration with the Hellenic Centre for Marine Research, http://www.uoc.gr, http://www.hcmr.gr. PhD Supervisors: Associate Professor Dr. Michail Pavlidis, Proncipal Investigator Dr. Stylianos Somarakis. Title of Dissertation: Modern approaches in biology and ecology of reproduction and growth of anchovy (Encraulis encrasicolus) in the North Aegean Sea
- M.Sc.: 2005, MSc in Ecology, Management & Protection of the Natural Environment, Department of Biology, School of Natural Sciences, University of Patras, Greece, http://www.upatras.gr. MSc Supervisor: Lecturer Dr. Stylianos Somarakis. Title of Dissertation: Daily Egg Production and spawning habitat of European anchovy, Engraulis encrasicolus L. 1758 in the Northeastern Aegean Sea
- B.Sc.: 2003, BSc in Biology, Department of Biology, School of Natural Sciences, University of Patras, Greece, http://www.upatras.gr
- 2014-2018: “MINOW-Science, technology and society initiative to minimize unwanted catches in European fisheries”- 634495- H2020-SFS-2014-2
- 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016: “National Program for the Collection of Fisheries Data.” Co-funded by the Ministry of Rural Development and Food & the EU (DG MARE).
- 2013-2015: “SEAMAN: Spatially resolved Ecosystem models and their Application to Marine MANagement.” - SEAS-ERA, EU ERA-Net initiative (7th Framework Programme).
- 2012-2013: «Development of innovative methods and molecular tools for controlling and enhancing the quality of farmed seabream and sea bass populations. Co-funded by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) and Greek National funds.
- 2012: “Greek National Program for the Collection of Fisheries Data.” Co-funded by the Ministry of Rural Development and Food & the EU (DG MARE).
- 2010-2012: FP7– “PREVENT ESCAPE: Assessing the causes and developing measures to prevent the escape of fish from sea-cage aquaculture”
- 2009-2013: “REPROdUCE: Recruitment PROcesses Using Coupled biophysical models of the pelagic Ecosystem” − Marifish, EU ERA-Net initiative (6th Framework Programme).
- 2008: “National Program for the Collection of Fisheries Data”. Co-funded by the Ministry of Rural Development and Food & the EU (DG MARE).
- 2007-2011: “FRESH-Fish Reproduction and Fisheries” Cost Action-FA0601
- 2007-2010: FP6–44294–“SARDONE: Improving assessment and management of small pelagic species in the Mediterranean”
- 2006-2007: “Improvement of in-year management of small pelagic fish in the Aegean Sea” DG Fish. FISH/2004/03.
- 2005-2008:“Environmental Approach to Essential Fish Habitat Designation”. EU funded-FP6 Framework
- 2005-2006: “Development of efficient methods for the integrated study of the ecology of early life stages of fish in the coastal waters of Greece” (K.Karatheodori, University of Patras).
- 2003-2004: “National Program for the Collection of Fisheries Data”. Co-funded by the Ministry of Agriculture & the EU (DG XIV).
- Tsoukali S., Giannoulaki M., Siapatis A., Schismenou E., Somarakis S. (in press). Using spatial indicators to investigate fish spawning strategies from ichthyoplankton surveys: A case study on co-occurring pelagic species in the NE Aegean Sea. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.12681/mms.15310
- Somarakis S., Tsoukali S., Giannoulaki M., Schismenou E., Nikolioudakis N. (2018) Spawning stock, egg production and larval survival in relation to small pelagic fish recruitment . Marine Ecology Progress Series. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3354/meps12642
- Schismenou E., Tsoukali S., Giannoulaki M., Somarakis S. (2017). Modelling small pelagic fish potential spawning habitats: eggs vs spawners and in situ vs satellite data. Hydrobiologia 788, 17–32
- Schismenou E., Palmer M., Giannoulaki M., Alvarez I., Tsiaras K., Triantafyllou G., Somarakis S. (2016). Seasonal changes in otolith increment width trajectories and the effect of temperature on the daily growth rate of young sardines. Fisheries Oceanography 25:4, 362–372.
- Giannoulaki M., Schismenou E., Pyrounaki M.M., Tsagarakis K. (2014) Habitat Characterisation & Migrations. In: ‘Biology and Ecology of Anchovies & Sardines’ (Ed. Ganias, K.). Science Publishers, CRC Press, pp 190-241
- Schismenou E., Giannoulaki M.,Tsiaras K., Lefkaditou E., Triantafyllou G., Somarakis S. (2014). Disentangling the effects of inherent otolith growth and model-simulated ecosystem parameters on the daily growth rate of young anchovies. Marine Ecology Progress Series 515, 227–237
- Giannoulaki, M., Iglesias M., Tugores, M.P., Bonanno A., Patti B., De Felice A., Leonori I., Bigot J.L., Ticina V., Pyrounaki M.M., Tsagarakis K., Machias A Somarakis S., Schismenou E., Quinci E., Basilone G., Cuttita A., Campanella F., Miquel J., Onate D., Roos D., Valavanis V. (2013) Characterizing the potential habitat of European anchovy Engraulis encrasicolus in the Mediterranean Sea, at different life stages. Fisheries Oceanography 22(2), 69-89
- Schismenou E., Tsiaras K., Kourepini M.I., Lefkaditou E., Triantafyllou G., Somarakis S. (2013). Seasonal changes in growth and condition of anchovy late larvae explained with a hydrodynamic- biogeochemical model simulation. Marine Ecology Progress Series 478, 197-209
- Schismenou E., Somarakis S., Thorsen A., Kjesbu O.S. (2012). Dynamics of de novo vitellogenesis in fish with indeterminate fecundity: an application of oocyte packing density theory to European anchovy, Engraulis encrasicolus. Marine Biology 159, 757-768
- Somarakis S., Schismenou E., Siapatis A., Giannoulaki M., Kallianiotis A., Machias A. (2012). High variability in the Daily Egg Production Method parameters of an eastern Mediterranean anchovy stock: Influence of environmental factors, fish condition and population density. Fisheries Research, 117-118, 12-21
- Siapatis A., Giannoulaki, M., Valavanis V.D, Palialexis A., Schismenou E., Machias, A., Somarakis S., (2008): Modelling potential habitat of the invasive ctenophore Mnemiopsis leidyi in Aegean Sea, Hydrobiologia, 612, 281-295
- Schismenou E., Giannoulaki, M., Valavanis V.D, Somarakis S., (2008): Modeling and predicting potential spawning habitat of anchovy (Engraulis encrasicolus) and round sardinella (Sardinella aurita) based on satellite environmental information, Hydrobiologia, 612: 201-214
Address: Hellenic Centre for Marine Research, PO Box 2214, Heraklion, Greece
Telephone: +302810337831, +306974884219