Physical Oceanographer, Phd candidate
Athanasios (Thanos) Gkanasos is currently a Research associate at the Institute of Oceanography of the Hellenic Centre for Marine Research (HCMR), Greece. He is also conducting a PhD under the title “Study of the climatic changes in the Mediterranean Sea and their effects on the ecosystem dynamics”. He has an MSc in Physical Oceanography from the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens and a BSc in Mathematics from the University of Crete. He has worked as a research associate at the University of Athens, Department of Physics, Ocean Physics and Modelling Group. with key roles and duties: a) assessment of natural activities changes in the basin of the Mediterranean Sea with the use of a numerical model and a mathematic statistical packet, b) development and use of: HYCOM numerical model MATLAB statistical packet, c) Research on Climate Change and its Impact on the Mediterranean Environment, d) Statistical handling of satellite, model and in situ multiannual data. As a Research associate in the HCMR and for the needs of research projects and his PhD thesis, his main duties and research interests are: a) Study of the climatic change effects on the Mediterranean Sea biochemical processes and hydrodynamics, through the development and application of: ecological model (ERSEM), bio-energetic and fish population dynamics model (IBM), the Regional Ocean Modeling System (ROMS), for the Poseidon Forecast System, b) Statistical processing and evaluation of large datasets deriving from numerical models, satellites and in situ measurements, c) Project reporting for product evaluation.
- ECOOP-European COastal-shelf sea OPerational observing and forecasting system (EU/FP6)
- CIRCE-Climate Change and Impact Research: the Mediterranean Environment
- MyOcean & MyOcean2
- SEAMAN - Spatially resolved Ecosystem models and their Application to Marine MANagement. SEAS-ERA Project (ERANET)
- N. Skliris, S. Sofianos, A. Gkanasos, P. Axaopoulos, A. Mantziafou, V. Vervatis. 2010. Long-term sea surface temperature variability in the Aegean Sea. Advances in Oceanography and Limnology.
- N. Skliris, S. Sofianos, A. Gkanasos, A. Mantziafou, V. Vervatis, P. Axaopoulos, A. Lascaratos. 2010. Decadal scale variability of sea surface temperature in the Mediterranean Sea in relation to atmospheric variability. Ocean Dynamics.
- N. Skliris, A. Mantziafou, S. Sofianos, A. Gkanasos, 2009. Satellite-derived variability of the Aegean Sea ecohydrodynamics. Continental Shelf Research.
Address: Hellenic Centre for Marine Research, 47km Athinon Souniou av. GR19013, Anavyssos, Greece
Telephone: +30 2291076403